S t r e a m T h e K i t c h e n O n l i n e A t http://www.wcdbfm.com

December 15, 2008

End of Semester

The end of the fall 2008 semester is finally here. A great semester, both for The Kitchen and also WCDB as a whole - We threw an amazing 30th anniversary celebration, inclusively covered the presidential election with a 2-month-old revived News department, managed to cover a few football games and a basketball game thanks to the similarly back-from-the-dead Sports department, and perhaps most proudly went 24 hours with our schedule. I sent this E-mail out a couple of weeks ago.

> All,
> I am writing this letter because we have finally achieved something I
> have dreamed of since I started at this station four years ago; a 24/7
> schedule.
> I want to express my deepest thanks to the DJs that made this
> possible. Due to recent events, we were left with ten hours of
> programming to fill; I'm proud to announce that the dedication and
> determination of our outstanding DJs have filled the gaps in only 24
> hours.
> I want to thank you, the DJ, very much for helping me achieve this
> dream. After a string of truly stellar on-campus events, including the
> 30th anniversary reunion weekend, comprehensive & unique presidential
> election coverage from a purposeful News department, and tireless
> efforts of all station members to maintain a high-quality student-run
> radio station, the 24 hour schedule is the apogee, that culmination of
> all we have worked for. We set a lot of precedents this semester, and
> for that I am eternally grateful to all of you for wanting this as
> much as I. We have truly set the tone for years to come at WCDB.
> Stay tuned for details on the 24 hour party (will not actually be 24
> hours long).
>
> WCDB on 24/7 - Best birthday present ever!
> I love you all
>
> -LEON

I'm beside myself lately; if someone would have told me as a freshman that I would be here, exactly where I am right now, I wouldn't comprehend it. I mean, I knew I would spend all my time here at SUNYA, and I'm sure I still would be a station member, but the aggregate of events over the years (both positive and negative) have really shaped me. 2008 will go down as an amazing year. Perhaps the best year of my life. If you had anything to do with this year, thank you. I value you immensely. I truly love you all.

Anyway, I haven't updated in a few weeks for a few reasons:

1) I had a lot of work to do.

2) I went to Blipfest and took some incredible pictures. Here's what Mike Kitchened around with in my absence - (Guest playlist from Dec. 5, 2008)

dire straitsromeo and juliet
dire straitsskateaway
triumphmagic power
michael jacksonpyt
princedarling nikki
van halenbeautiful girls
the replacementsi will dare
AFRIKA BAMBAATAARENEGADES OF FUNK
men at workI CAN SEE IT IN YOUR EYES
the smithereensblood and roses
duran duranrio
u2BULLET THE BLUE SKY
rushred barchetta
VIOLENT FEMMESGONE DADDY GONE
Hall and Oatesyou make my dreams
R.E.M.driver 8
phishAC DC BAG
the jamjust who is the 5 o'clock hero
STEVIE RAY VAUGHaNtestify
depeche modeshame
paul simongraceland
the smithsthis charming man
dirty faceI CAN HURT MYSELF (IF I WANT TO)
the english beattears of a clown
the policedriven to tears
the replacementsalex chilton
the smithereensyesterday girl
elvis costelloEVERY DAY I WRITE THE BOOK









3) I came back and still had a lot of work to do.

4) I finished three essays less than an hour before they were due.

5) I missed the Dec. 12 show for Wing Thing. Which blew my mind! Biiiiig shout out to Bill Goss for throwing the WCDB party I've always wanted to go to and finally did. Awesome.









6) I have a new girl :-) She is AWESOME.

So, 2008, it's been real. It's been realer than real. I can't even start to express how much I will miss it, nor can I contain how much I'm looking forward to 2009. I've always been happy to be a student here, but every day I literally get the feeling that this is the best time of my life. Word.

Keep an eye right here for one more important playlist: The Kitchen Christmas, December 19. Tune in, I hope you asked for synth.

The Kitchen will continue Fridays 8p-10p until I say so.

Happy everything,
Leon

No comments: