May 10, 2008
- The 80s at 8 is not going down Friday nights now. If I happen to DJ an 80s party over the summer (Feel free to contact me on that too, I'll do it for beer), I'll post pictures and a playlist here, but expect this to be an ill-updated blog until late August.
- I'm insanely vexed about the finals situation, more than any other finals situation I've encountered during my six (SIX!!!??) semesters here at SUNYA.
- I have a five gallon point-of-use watercooler bottle next to my bed that I will not be able to consume before I leave Albany
- I couldn't go to the legendariest of WCDB legendariness events, Wing Thing (Ain't no thing though, I'll be on that 21 tip by the time it goes down again in the Fall)
- All my peoples are leaving mad days before me (sitting all alone with my books and my pen while you're out at 10, 10 PM) I'm stuck here 'til Thursday.
The good news!
- I'll be making mad bank this summer (School M/W/F, Workin' T/R) so I'll always be busy and I'll always be down for a Friday party
- The Kitchen will survive! Kind of, like, out of its element 'cause I miss starting the night off with 80s, but the Kitchen will be on WCDB from May - late August 2008 on
FRIDAYS, 1-4 PM EST.
May 3, 2008
Hey hey hey what's up new wavers! I had my radio show last night!! It was a lot of fun as always. School's winding down and so I am basically running all over the place getting my 24 hour situation on a lock. Always got time for WCDB though!! I played more 12" remixes and extended dance cuts than usual, so the playlist is a little terse but it was still 2 hours packed with what I love.
Jon Weiner's Alt Rock show is 6-8p Fridays for now but in the fall?? WHO KNOWS WHEN!!
KATECATE and CASEY totally stopped by for a minute on their way to see Iron Man the film. WOO!
The one and/or only Dan Arrigo also made an appearance before going back to
Long Island Long Beach for the weekend
Photographers all up in the piece
"Back when I was a lowercase G..." shout out to whoever dropped the pink highlighter ! ! !
THE PLAYLIST:::::: (Way big thanks to Valerie Steele of Les Anglaises who has officially provided the first drop for the Kitchen in recorded history!) EXCITEMENT.
BLUE MERCEDES - I WANT TO BE YOUR PROPERTY
MODERN ENGLISH - I MELT WITH YOU (TOKE'S ROCK REMIX)
THE DAWN - ENVELOPED IDEAS
ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN - THE KILLING MOON
INDUSTRY - STATE OF THE NATION
LES ANGLAISES - MONOTONE (EXTENDED 12")
LES ANGLAISES - EVERY PETAL OF THE ROSE
THE ALARM - ABSOLUTE REALITY
GANG OF FOUR - DAMAGED GOODS
THE SMITHS - HEAVEN KNOWS I'M MISERABLE NOW
GENE LOVES JEZEBEL - DESIRE
GENE LOVES JEZEBEL - HEARTACHE
EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL - WHEN ALL'S WELL
NAKED EYES - ALWAYS SOMETHING THERE TO REMIND ME (12")
SONIC YOUTH - EXPRESSWAY TO YR. SKULL
ANY COLOUR - CUTTING CREW
ALPHAVILLE - FOREVER YOUNG (12")
THE CULT - SHE SELLS SANCTUARY
NEW ORDER - LEAVE ME ALONE
CROWDED HOUSE - DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER
GENERAL PUBLIC - TENDERNESS
INXS - ORIGINAL SIN
DEPECHE MODE - EVERYTHING COUNTS
SOFT CELL - TAINTED LOVE / WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
So the program was over, and I knew what it was then time to do: Party
Running the keg is such a fascination of mine (thanks to Akeem for being my pump dude, catch 'em on the right)
All of a sudden, both kegs were gone ! It was only time for one thing: WAIT FOR TWO DUDES TO SEE WHO CAN THROW THEM THE FARTHEST! What a great idea. These guys should have their own quad.
Competitor #1 had a good throw, but there was something missing.
This guy's got the right idea! You have to put your back into it if you want results!
To be honest, I don't know who actually threw further as there was no light in the backyard and kegs have an innate tendency to roll... But hey! At least I was standing on the back deck a few feet off the ground! I felt like a roman statesman chillin' at the Coliseum... Except with shoes instead of sandals, and it was dudes throwing kegs instead of fighting animals. But you already knew that.
The rest of the party involved applesauce, milk, Jared who lives across the hall from me, straws, and dudes at the chinese restaurant. IN THAT ORDER YO.
The following day (earlier today) I went to Parkfest and had a jam of a time!! It never rained, but the clouds and temperature were enough to deter many, but those who braved the impossible elements (it was like 45 degrees, whatever) were treated to a fun festival of The Hush Sound, Phantom Planet, Trey Songz, Aficionado, and chicken sandwiches. Word up to Press Passes, and I would now like to put the weather on blast. It's fucking May, dude. No more showers, lots more flowers. Yahmeen?
The Hush Sound (I have a huuuuuge crush on Greta Salpeter)
I got to meet her afterward, but I was such a loser, didn't even ask for her number. Maybe next time they're in town I can bring myself to not work up the courage again! Hahaha "Like I'd have a chance with her anyway" as Alexa succinctly put it. But serious I would move to Illinois for her. That isn't a phrase I throw around.
(I only took film of him, if any of it comes out decent I'll put it on Flickr)
Then Aficionado, who I thought sounded spectacular and was also one of the more photogenic bands I've seen: (Check out that microphone!!)
MARISSA! Marissa killed it on the flute. That's right this band is so badass it has a flute. Actually, it has TWO flutes! You can't step to it if you try.
Congratulations to Marissa on graduating SUNYA, we'll miss ya as a Alt Rock WCDB DJ - good luck in what's next!!
YO THAT'S ABOUT IT FOR ME MAN THIS POST TOOK MAD TIME ! ! ! See you next week. Also keep refreshing this page 'cause I'll probably post my summer hours soon (The Kitchen cannot be on Friday Nights anymore unless gasoline goes back to $2/gallon)